Sometimes the attacks seriously and long lasting, and you feel the need to stop the attack. If your doctor has determined that it is a dangerous rhythm disturbance, there are simple measures you can try to stop the attack. Things to try are:
- Hold your breath for a few seconds
- Alternatively, dip your face in cold water.
- Any host
- Alternatively, tighten your abdominal muscles (as you do on the toilet to push out the stool)
If these measures do not succeed, try to lie down and relax and take a deep breath slowly sometimes. Often this will be enough for the heart slows. If symptoms persist and are bothersome, you should be transported to a hospital. Furthermore, frequent, brief seizures should be evaluated by a doctor.
Some adjustments in daily life can also make sense in terms of achieving control of the situation:
- Learn to count your pulse beats, and to check whether the pulse is smooth. Normally, the pulse beats regularly and by 50-100 beats per minute.
- Exercise regularly. Being in good physical condition makes your heart stronger and provides, among other things, that you get a lower blood pressure and slower heart rate.
- Learn to cope without techniques to reduce stress levels. Techniques such as meditation and biofeedback can be beneficial, but to learn to relax muscles and deep breathing is often enough.
- If you suffer from other diseases or conditions, you should try to achieve the best possible control of these by following your doctor's advice.
- Stump the smoke!
- Cut down on caffeine intake (drink less coffee)
- Avoid drugs and illegal drug, most of which stimulates your heart.
- If you are overweight, you should strive to lose weight. Obesity pushes your heart to work harder.
- Try to keep a healthy diet low in fat, cholesterol and salt
- Reduce alcohol consumption, if this is too high. Taking more than two glasses of wine or equivalent should only happen in exceptional cases.
- Ask your doctor to make sure none of your medications affect your heart rate, including non prescription medicines and herbal.